Department of ophthalmology
MEDICAL AND ADVISORY WORK
The department of ophthalmology NMU continuously provides clinical and consulting work across multipleclinical sites, and raised to care advisory teams composed on the orders of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, municipal department of health care of Kyiv city and NMU.
Responsible for the clinical work and consulting work of the department of ophthalmology – Associate Professor, Ph.D. Kurilina Elena, phone number 067 209 37 94
All permanent members of the department have medical category and know all modern ophthalmologic diagnostic methods, perform the most complex surgical procedures.
The department cooperates with leading metropolitan ophthalmologic public and private institutions:
- Kyiv Regional Hospital,
- SPC “Excimer” Ophthalmologic Clinic “New Vision”
- American Institute of Laser Technologies “AILAS”
- Ophthalmology department of Main Military Clinical Hospital of MD of Ukraine and others.
Provides urgent duty according to the approved schedule for the city. Kyiv receives urgent eye care professional’s emergency department help in any other city hospitals: Kyiv Urgent Care Hospital, Polytrauma clinic and others.
- The department advises and carries out planned and urgent treatment in ophthalmology department (“Eye Trauma”center) Alexander Clinical Hospital, and the ophthalmology department hospital №9 of Kiev.
- During a year on clinical bases of the department about 2,500 patients are treated, near 1500surgeries and 4000 consultations are performed.
- The department has implemented the most modern methods of surgical treatment of cataract and glaucoma
Department is a leader in the diagnostics and treatment:
- Pathology of the optic nerve
- Degenerative diseases of the retina
- Neuroophthalmological pathology
- The various forms of glaucoma
- Injuries of the eye
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Eye pathology at the general diseases
- Tumors of the eye appendages
- Diseases of the lacrimal
- Corneal Disease
Introduction of new methods of diagnostics and treatment
Modern methods of diagnostics
- Visual acuity: modern universal charts of optotypes
- Computer perimeter and analyzer of visual fields
- The exact description of the state of distribution of sensitivity in the field of vision and early detection of glaucoma disorders and other pathologies determined by computer perimetry and analyzer of visual fields.
- The results of computer analysis of fields with significant changes (concentric narrowing to 15-25 degrees and pericentral scotoma) in advanced stages of glaucomatous optic neuropathy and macular degeneration..
- Automated refractometry
- A diagnostic ultrasound: A and B-scan of the eye
- Electrophysiological methods
- Pneumotonometry – contactless measurement of intraocular pressure (IOP).
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT)
- Optical coherence tomography, ОСТ – modern non-invasive non-contact method, which allows the visualization of the structures of the eye in a significantly higher resolution (from 1 to 15 microns), then ultrasound method. OCT – is a kind of optical bіо
- In glaucoma, lesion of nerve fibers increases during disease progression. It is important to diagnose the development of glaucomatous optic neuropathy at the stage of morphological changes when clinically impossible to determine the onset.
- Assessment of the optic nerve and nerve fibers layer thickness in preclinical stage possible using OCT.
The method provides a diagnosis of the loss of retinal ganglion cells, and changes in the thickness of the retinal nerve fiber layer(RNFL), which allows to provide early drug therapy.
The results of computer analysis of optical coherent tomographicstudy the thickness of retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) from earlypreclinical signs of glaucomatous optic neuropathy
New methods of treatment:
- Closed delimiting panretinallazer coagulation
- Lacrimal tract surgery using silicone implants, closed transcanalliculardakryocystorhynostomia with microdrainage stenting (in cooperation with the Research LOR Institute and Otorhynolaryngology Department of NMU)
- Methods of laser treatment of glaucoma (selective thermal impulse diode trabeculoplastic)
- Surgical treatment of eye tumors using radiowave knife
- Biocovering of cornea using modern materials with amnion analogues Tutoplast and Atutoplasticmaterial
- Reconstructive plastic of orbit using modern orbital implants and atutoplastic material
- Evisceration and enucleation with modern orbital implant and atutoplastic materials
- X-ray endovascular surgery of disorders of the optic nerve circulatory system (in cooperation with the Romodanov Research Institute of Neurosurgery).
- Clinical bases of the departments
Oleksandrivska Clinical Hospital of Kyiv (39/1 Shovkovychna St., 5 building)
Kyiv City Clinical Hospital No. 9 (1 Rizhska St.)
Central Polyclinic of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine (18 Pylyp Orlyk St.)
Medical Ophthalmology Center “Zir 100%” (23 Dniprovska Naberezhna St.)