Department of ophthalmology
History of the department
The decision to open the department of eye diseases was adopted in September 1869 and in March 1870 – the clinic of eye diseases. Before this, the course of theoretical ophthalmology was given at the lectures of theoretical surgery by professors V.V.Bekker, G.D. Zilchert and H.Y. Hübbenet. They laid the foundation and traditions of national ophthalmology.
Thus, in 1852 H.Y. Hübbenet brought to Kyiv from abroad trip an ophthalmoscope which in 1851 was invented by German physicist and physiologist Hermann Helmholtz. With the help of this ophthalmoscope which became an “ancestor” of funduscope – the main device of modern ophthalmologist, it was possible to examine the eyeground. Therefore, fundoscopy as the most important method of eye examination, developed in Kyiv practically at the same time with Western Europe.
It should be noted that H.Y. Hübbenet supported close scientific contacts with famous Viennese ophthalmologist Ferdinand Alt who was a Russian delegate at the 2 nd international congress of ophthalmologists in Paris in 1862. His pen includes review articles about the state of ophthalmological aid in Europe, work of eye clinics and meetings with famous ophthalmologists.
However, the possibility to obtain knowledge in practical ophthalmology and ophthalmological surgery, the students of university owed to professor Volodymyr Opanasovych Karavayev – the organizer and first dean of the medical faculty, talented surgeon who M.I.Pirogov considered to be one of the best his students. V.O.Karavayev performed a lot of eye operations and he successfully advanced one of the main eye operations – cataract extraction. His proposition to make a discussion of ocular anterior chamber during cataract extraction on peripheral rim from above but not from below as it was made earlier; his method still remains a procedure of choice of ophthalmologist-surgeon.
CHAIRMAN OF OPHTHALMOLOGY DEPARTMENT
OleksandrVolodymyrovych Ivanov (1836-1880)
The first chairman of eye diseases department became professor Oleksandr Volodymyrovych Ivanov (1836-1880). Eye diseases were taught at ІІІ and ІV academic years, lectures on ophthalmology were given 3 hours per week in adjusted premises. The clinic had outpatient and inpatient departments for 10 beds. Despite quite difficult conditions, there was held a huge treatment work. Thus, in course of years, when the department was headed by professor O.V.Ivanov (1870-1880), the outpatient department 20 accepted 120 patients (on average 2560 of patients per year), 1259 of patients were treated in inpatient department, 90% of them were operated.
O.V.Ivanov is the first director of chief clinic of Kyiv University and the founder of pathological anatomy in ophthalmology. His works are dedicated to microanatomy of all ocular tissues. The works by professor O.V.Ivanov obtained the highest appreciation abroad where they were published. He had an excellent reputation of practicing physician famous over all Russia.
Ophthalmology was on the initial stage and just detached from the department of theoretical surgery, however during this beginning period when the first ophthalmologists appeared, scientific works of O.V.Ivanov were the model and reached the achievements of Western Europe.
Oleksandr Volodymyrovych graduated from medical faculty of Moscow University in 1859; he worked and received treatment abroad. In Montpellier he got acquainted with Alexander Pagenstecher who influenced on the choice of specialty of the young scientist. In Wurzburg O.V.Ivanov worked at anatomy- histological laboratory of Gerhard Müller, then at clinics of Knapp, Alt and others.
In 1867 O.V.Ivanov returned to Saint-Petersburg and in Medico-surgical academy he defended doctor’s dissertation on “Materials for general and pathological anatomy of small crystal”, in 1869 he was chosen an extraordinary professor of recently organized eye diseases department of Kyiv university. The clinic was opened later, on 22nd March, 1870.
As an educationalist and lecturer O.V.Ivanov belonged to the best professors of university. Being a brilliant expert of eye structure, he implemented this knowledge in all clinical lectures.
Works of OleksandVolodymyrovych Ivanov are dedicated to microscopic, general and pathological eye anatomy, swelling and inflammation of eye retina and ophthalmic nerve, diseases of conjunctiva and Keratoderma, etc. His classical scientific works on phlyctena morphology, small crystal structure, swelling of eye retina are still considered to be fundamental. O.V.Ivanov wrote 27 and published 11 original scientific works.
Andriy Vasylyovych Khodin (1847-1905)
From 1881 to 1903 the department was headed by professor AndriyVasylyovych Khodin (1847-1905) who previously was a freelance university lecturer of Saint-Petersburg military medical academy. During this period ophthalmology was taught at IV and V academic years. Students listened to 70 two-hour lectures, were patients’ navigators with obligatory defense of case history. It was an innovation of professor A.V.Khodin.
After the transfer of university clinics to new premises in Bibikovskiy Blvd. (now Taras Shevchenko Blvd.), the eye clinic was extended from 10 to 25 beds, there were obtained good outpatient department, separate room for lectures and in 1893 there was built eye surgery room (for this purpose, eye operations were directly performed on the beds in wards). Due to this fact, the effectiveness of treatment work improved significantly. From 1881 to 1890 outpatient care was provided to 102 patients (on average 174 patients per year). Surgical service, as before, was quite active, however due to absence of severe aseptics, the percent of post-surgery complications was quite high.
Thus, after cataract extraction approximately 10% of patients had eye problems because of panophthalmitis.
And there is one more interesting fact. Since 1884 professor A.V.Khodin started to publish in Kyiv the first Russian ophthalmological periodical called “Ophthalmology reporter” which is currently published in Moscow and is the main periodical of ophthalmologists of CIS countries.
Works of A.V.Khodin are dedicated to study of ocular refractions, light and color perception, physiology of eye muscles and clinics of eye diseases. He is the author of study guides in ophthalmology: “Practical ophthalmology” (five editions), “A course in eye operations”, “Ophthalmoscopy and its application in ophthalmology and general medicine”, “On determination of blindness simulation and shortness of vision”. His doctor’s dissertation “On rotation ocular point with different refraction” is still of high priority. In total A.V.Khodin published 23 scientific works.
Professor A.V.Khodin was the founder of Kyiv ophthalmological school. The following professors and associate professors O.F.Shymanovskiy, M.A.Levytskiy, A.G.Vasyutynskiy, A.F.Rumyantseva, A.A.Kholina, U.N.Shevchuk, І.А. Korenevych and others left Kyiv eye clinic.
Oleksandr Fedorovych Shymanovskiy (1860-1918)
In 1903-1918 yy. the department was headed by professor Oleksandr Fedorovych Shymanovskiy (1860-1918) the educatee of medical faculty of Kyiv university. Being talented lecturer, professor O.F.Shymanovskiy gave a lot of time and efforts to pedagogical activity. In 1909 he introduced for students’ compulsory practical classes where future doctors mastered clinical eye research methods and were concerned with clinical discussion of patients and wrote case histories.
O.F.Shymanovskiy paid a lot of attention to treatment-and-consultation work, going into all life and working details of the clinic. For his time, he was an outstanding ophthalmologist-surgeon. Works of O.F.Shymanovskiy were dedicated to problems of keratoplasty. In 1893 he was the first in Russia who performed full homoplastic keratoplasty taking a transplant from the eye removed from the patient with glaucoma.
He was the first in the world who in 1911 performed an operation to three patients – transplantation of anterior chamber of the eye; this operation still remains extraordinary. With this operation O.F.Shymanovskiy predicted the achievements of modern transplantology. He pointed at possibility for transplantation of cadaveric eye cornea usage preserved at low temperature.
Reviewing the results of his work in the area of keratoplasty during 18 years (1893-1911), O.F.Shymanovskiy made conclusions which significantly were way ahead of that time. He pointed out that the material for keratoplasty can only be a human eye – live or cadaveric.
The conclusion by O.F.Shymanovskiy about wide possibility of cadaveric eyes preservation for transplantation under low temperature was used in practice neither by him nor by other Kyiv ophthalmologists of that time. In 29 years, in 1931 in Odessa, cornea transplantation taken from cadaveric eye kept for a long time under low temperature was performed the first time in the world by academician V.P.Filatov. This famous operation, which helped preserve vision of many blind people, is the result of persistent work of his forerunners, where O.F.Shymanovskiy should be considered the principle.
More than 30 scientific works of professor O.F.Shymanovskiy distinguished with originality of the thought and independence of opinions, in particular “About the essence of trachoma”, “On pulsating exophthalmos, “On transplantation of anterior chamber of the eye”.
Ivan Yuliyovych Rubert (1874-1934)
After the death of famous scientist, from 1919 to 1921 the department was headed by his student – Ivan Yuliyovych Rubert (1874-1934) who carefully kept all the traditions of his teacher. Later he headed the department in Riga. Classical experimental work “On tuberculosis-allergic nature and histological structure of phlyctenas” belongs to professor I.Y.Rubert. Finally I.Y.Rubert researched phlyctenas microscopically.
Photography of phlyctena medication of I.Y.Rubert was included by Axenfeld in his famous guidance with signature “Phlyctena according to Rubert”. Except the works mentioned here, I.Y.Rubert during the period of activity I Kyiv published one more work on siderosis of an eyeglobe and in 1918 he published the book “On vision problems upon chronic poisoning with denaturized alcohol”.
During that period when the department was headed by O.F.Shymanovskiy and I.Y.Rubert (1903-1921), there were admitted 212188 outpatients (on average 11 718 patients per year) and 3713 of patients were treated in inpatient department. Surgical activity was quite high, moreover the number of post-operation complications decreased, first of all, due to implementation of severe aseptics during operations. The percent of eye problems after cataract extraction reduced from 9,6 to 1,35 percent.
In 1920 there happened an important event – there was founded Kyiv Medical Institute on the basis of medical faculty of Kyiv university. It positively affected the collective life of the department of eye diseases.
Mykhailo Andriyovych Levytskiy (1870-1942)
n 1922 Mykhailo Andriyovych Levytskiy (1870-1942) was chosen the chairman of eye diseases department of Kyiv Medical Institute.
In 1923 the clinic of eye diseases was transferred to three-storied building in Gershuni Str. (now Gonchara Str., 33). There were organized an inpatient department for 40 beds with separate surgery and dressing rooms, physiology room, laboratory, study rooms and big outpatient department. Professor M.A.Levytskiy paid great attention to equipment of clinic with diagnostic instrumentation (slit lamp, refractometer, ophthalmoscope, adaptometer and camera for filming an eye-ground). It became possible to increase significantly the effectiveness of treatment work of the department and teach students at the modern level.
During this period practical training of students distinguished with high quality. Student scientific circle started to work at the department in 1934; it was organized by professor M.A.Levytskiy. During pre-war years there were only 5-8 students. The first supervisors of the scientific circle were associate professors V.A.Kramarevskiy and I.A.Korenevych. The main activity areas of student scientific circle were the development of diagnostic and treatment methodologies and clinical discussion of patients. Most of classes were held in outpatient department, patient capacity of which approximately amounted to 200 people a day. As of from 1922 to1941 there were admitted 485 766 outpatients (23 130 people per year), 9366 patients were treated in in-patient department (446 people per year), 7757 patients of them were operated (369 people per year).
Professor M.A.Levytskiy was a brilliant ophthalmologist-surgeon. Under his guidance the volume of surgical interventions on ocular organs was quite significant. Among abdominal operations on eyeglobe, the significant place was occupied by operation developed by him on removal of subretinal bladder worm from the eye. The clinic’s museum still preserves the unique collection of medications – 15 bladder worms removed from the eye by professor M.A.Levytskiy.
Physical treatment methods successfully developed by associate professor Volodymyr Oleksandrovych Kramarevskiy obtained wide application. He paid special attention to reflectory-segmental therapy what significantly increased the effectiveness of conservative treatment of patients with complicated eye diseases.
Professor M.A.Levytskiy wrote 40 scientific works. The main area of his scientific researches consisted in search of localization methods of ophthalmoscopic changes on the surface of sclera. Together with professor Goldman he concluded the projection table of ophthalmological changes of sclera which is still used by oculists, especially for localization of retinal tears during its separation.
On 22nd June, 1941 there started the Great Patriotic War. In July the department of eye diseases of Kyiv medical university was evacuated to town of Chelyabynsk where it was temporarily headed by professor Oleksandr Yakovych Samolov. In 1943, after Kyiv’s liberation from Nazi occupants, the department returns to its native town. However, the building of eye clinic was burnt by retreating fascists. The clinic was situated in Chkalova Str., 35. They had to start everything from the very beginning. There were saved instruments and museum exhibits which the workers managed to bring out of clinic’s building which was burning. Since 13 th December, 1943 the classes in ophthalmology with students were resumed.
During the post-war period, in 50-s and 60-s years (department’s chairman – professor V.N.Arhangelskiy and professor P.S.Plitas), the work of student scientific circle became quite active; it was managed by associate professors І.А.Korenevych and L.L.Ustymenko and there always studied 8-12 students. Except the improvement of ophthalmological training, the students widely held scientific researches generally dedicated to problems of ocular traumatism, histological changes of ocular membranes upon inflammatory diseases and ultrasound diagnostics and ophthalmology.
In 1944 the department was headed by V.N.Arhangelskiy (1897-1973) who previously headed the ophthalmology department of Kuybyshevskiy medical university. He made a lot of efforts in order to renovate the clinic. In adjusted premises there were organized inpatient department for 50 beds and quite big outpatient department. It gave possibility only during 1948 year to demonstrate to students approximately 5000 patients with different ocular pathology.
Since December 1949, the department’s base became an ocular department of hospital № 14 n.a. ZhovtnevaRevolutsia, where at first there were 60 and then 80 beds. Equipment of the clinic gradually improved. During post-war period the volume of treatment work was quite big – every year there were admitted on average 41 990 outpatients and there were treated 680 inpatients, 537 of them were operated. Methodologies of surgical interventions were constantly improved and, first of all, on the basis of scientific developments of clinic’s workers.
Thus, there were implemented methods of cataract extraction with conjuctivalvalvule and discission of anterior chamber with sword-shaped knife (V.O.Kramarevskiy), intake of oiled tampon during dacryocystorhinostomy (А.М.Marchenko), diathermocoagulation tumorous iris (V.N.Arhangelskiy, V.P.Purik) and corneal ulcers (Е.О.Kotelyanskiy). There were improved the methods of radiological location of foreign materials in the eye (І.А.Korenevych, S.N.Smyrnov), and tested new medications, for example, pyrophos upon glaucoma (L.L.Ustymenko).
Scientific researches of professor V.N.Arhangelskiy are mainly dedicated to study of morphological essence of eye pathological processes; it allowed the scientist to publish an atlas “Morphological fundamentals of ophthalmoscopic diagnostics”. He won an M.I.Averbakh award. For 10 years of activity, professor V.N.Arhangelskiy published 15 scientific works and his students executed and defended 4 candidate’s dissertations.
V.N.Arhangelskiy is the author of textbook on ocular diseases for students (two editions), executive editor of multivolume guidance on ocular diseases for ophthalmologists.
During post-war period, the discipline was taught at 4 faculties: treatment (V academic year, 95 hours, among them 38 — lectures and 57 practical classes), pediatric (V academic year, 95 hours, among them 38 — lectures and 57 practical classes), sanitary and hygienic (V academic year, 65 hours, among them — 26 lectures and 39 practical classes) and stomatological (V academic year, 48 hours, among them 16 — lectures and 32 practical classes).
In 1953 professor V.N.Arhangelskiy was transferred to Moscow to the post of chairman of ocular diseases department of 1st Moscow medical institute n.a. S.M.Sechenov.
Ivan Andriyovych Korenevych
During 1953-1954 academic years the department of eye diseases of Kyiv medical institute was temporarily headed by associate professor Ivan Andriyovych Korenevych. He worked at the department during 50 years (1916-1966), he was experienced clinician, ophthalmologist-surgeon and educationalist. He is the author of translation of guidance on biomicroscopy by Kobi (1931) and monograph “Biomicroscopy of the eye” (1969). І.А.Korenevych taught the clinic’s workers to use widely a slit lamp what contributedinto the most precise diagnostics and later it facilitated transition to microsurgery. From 1953 to 1964 І.А.Korenevych worked on a public basis as the chief ophthalmologist of Ministry of Health Protection of the USSR.
Pavlo Savych Plitas
In 1954 professor Pavlo Savych Plitas was chosen for the post of department’s chairman; he was the student of professor K.H.Orlov who previously for 20 years headed the department of ophthalmology of Ivanovskiy medical institute. Professor P.S.Plitas implemented teaching profiling of eye diseases at each faculty. Being artistically talented, professor P.S.Plitas illustrated his lectures with pictures. Students examined patients even during examinations.
Eye diseases were taught at V academic year, the number of hours reduced at treatment faculty to 80 hours (32 hours of lectures and 42 hours of practical classes) and at pediatric faculty to 85 hours (34 hours of lectures and 51 hours of practical classes). Professor P.S.Plitas personally gave all lectures and used explanatory pictures. The necessary element of the exam was patient examination.
During his department’s management professor P.S.Plitas at Zhovtneva hospital in 1958 there was opened an emergency room (full-time), in 1959 – glaucomatous room and the first in Kyiv laboratory on fitting and manufacturing of contact lenses.
Professor P.S.Plitas paid great attention to morphological researches. The clinic regularly held clinical-anatomical conferences with discussion of eye enucleation and detailed examination of histologic pattern of medications. There were regulated the museum of macro- and micromedications, concluded the archive of results of histological researches with medications sketching out in the register.
The main areas of scientific researches of clinic’s workers during that period were: study of professional eye pathology (P.S.Plitas), clinical-and-morphological changes study of peripheral eye nervous system upon its contusion (І.P.Chuyistova), superficial corneal damages (L.O.Syedoy), arc eyes (М.E.Parkhomenko), study of treatment effectiveness of different intermedin-medications (D.T.Pyndych), Arminum (L.L.Ustymenko), antireticular cytotoxic serum (V.O.Kramarevskiy, М.E.Parkhomenko, А.М.Marchenko), Trypsin and Chymotrypsin (P.V.Puryk), effectiveness of physiotherapeutic procedures in treatment of eye diseases (V.O.Kramarevskiy).
Professor P.S.Plitas made a lot for development of national science on professional eye pathology and traumatology. His researches cover such issues as changes of visual organ upon general hyperthermia, under effect of electric arc, very-high-frequency radio waves damaged by iron scale. Under the control of ophthalmoscope he developed the method of magnetic fragments removal which float in glasslike body; he improved the technique of fire splinters removal from orbital cavity, nonmagnetic extraneous bodies from the angle of ocular anterior chamber.
Professor P.S.Plitas is the author of original ophthalmoscopic atlas and illustrations to it (1958) and the monograph “Medical instruments care” (1968).
In 1954-1966 yy. L.L.Ustymenko, M.A.Dukhyna, I.P.Chuyistova and L.O.Syedoy executed and defended their candidate’s dissertations at the department. During this period there were treated approximately 1204 inpatients per year, 736 of them had different eye operations. Professor P.S.Plitas performed numerous and successful operations, especially plastic operations of eyelids and orbital cavities. He developed and implemented a complex operation of nonmagnetic unfixed intraocular extraneous bodies removal under control of ophthalmoscopy.
Tetyana Volodymyrivna Shlopak (18.09.1918 – 01.05.1985)
In 1966 – 1983 years the department was headed by professor Tetyana Volodymyrivna Shlopak (18.09.1918 – 01.05.1985). On 18.09. 2008 during ceremonial meeting of ophthalmologists association there was celebrated 90 the anniversary of her birth.
Tetyana Volodymyrivna graduated from Odessa medical institute, she was the student of academician V.P.Filatova; under his guidance she executed and defended the candidate’s dissertation: “Elastotonometer researches and tissue therapy upon myopic chorioretinopathies” and in 1964, in Kyiv she defended doctor’s dissertation dedicated to new and very important problem – “Study of microelements role in eye pathology”. She headed the ophthalmology department of Stanislavskiy (Ivano-Frankivskiy) state medical institute (1955 – 1966 year) and the department of eye diseases of Kyiv medical institute (1966 – 1983 years), and then to 1985 she was the consultant professor. She is the author of more than 100 scientific publications; she developed and improved the following operations – choroid’s revascularization upon primary pigmentary degeneration of retina, sinus trabeculectomy with iridosclerectomy upon glaucoma, ocular hypotensive combined trophic operation, etc. Her major work is the monograph: “Macroelement in ophthalmology” (1969).
She trained five 5 doctors of science who started to head the departments at others higher educational institutions and 15 candidates of medical science.
Tetyana Volodymyrivna was chosen the deputee of Verkhovna Rada of the USSR from 1963 to 1970 years; she was awarded with Order of the Red Banner of Labor, medals and she was awarded the title “Honored Science Worker of the USSR” in 1979.
Professor T.V.Shlopak headed new scientific direction in the USSR – “Experimental and clinical researches of microelements in ophthalmology”. With her arrival to the department there were observed considerable changes in the topics of scientific researches. Most of scientific works were dedicated to study of pathological-chemical essence of different ocular diseases (cataract, glaucoma, degeneration of retina, etc.).
Professor T.V.Shlopak executed great work to improve the learning and teaching process. Illustrative material for practical classes and lectures was considerably increased in quantity (tables, training models, lantern slides, films, etc.). Study rooms were equipped with necessary devices (slit lamp, perimeter, campimeter, adaptometer, anomaloscope, Rott’s device, set of slides, etc.).
Professor T.V.Shlopak insisted that 2/3 of study time, the students should work with patients, in order not to have microlectures at practical classes. During the lectures there were always demonstrated patients, the members of Ukrainian Blind Association were invited; they familiarized students with reading and writing methodology by Braille and told about housekeeping and work organization of blind people. This discipline was taught 72 hours at the treatment faculty (36 hours of lectures and 36 hours of practical classes) and 76 hours at the pediatric faculty (26 hours of lectures and 50 hours of practical classes).
The circle was extending up to 12-20 students yearly and it was strengthened in organization. Members of circle started regularly to take part at institute scientific conferences.
With the purpose of improvement of treatment-and-consultation work, the clinic’s activity was reconstructed – there were organized equipment rooms with offices equipped with devices necessary for work; there was established exact schedule of continuous work of equipment. For surgery room there were purchased photocoagulators and surgery microscopes. Gradually all the department’s workers mastered the execution of ocular operations through the microscope. There was expanded the range of surgical interventions among which were operations developed or improved by professor T.V.Shlopak and her students – revascularization of choroid with primary pigmentary degeneration of retina, sinus trabeculectomy with iridosclerectomy upon glaucoma, ocular hypotensive combined trophic operation, etc.
During this period department’s workers treated on average 1340 inpatients, among them 572 were operated and on average 15 965 of outpatients a year received consultations.
Leonid Oleksandrovych Syedoy (1933 year of birth)
From 1983 to 1985 years the responsibilities of eye diseases department’s chairman were executed by the student of professor P.S.Plitas – associate professor Leonid Oleksandrovych Syedoy who worked in the area of diagnostics treatment and prevention of eye traumatism.
L.O.Syedoy was born on 14 th January, 1933 in village of Ivanytsya of Chernigiv region. His mother worked as a teacher and father was a doctor. In 1971 he left Ivanytska secondary school and entered the treatment faculty of Kyiv medical institute.
In student years he was engaged into amateur performance in institute band of bandura-players; he was the monitor of the course and graduated from the institute with honors.
During two years after the institute he worked as an ophthalmologist in his native village Ivanytsya in Chernigiv region and then from 1961 to 1963 he worked as a hospital physician of regional ophthalmologic dispensary in Mykolayiv city where he obtained his first skills in surgical ophthalmology.
Since 1963 all professional activity of L.O.Syedoy during forty years was connected with ophthalmology department of National Medical University.
From 1963 to 1965 he was a resident physician, from1965 to 1967 – a postgraduate, and from 1968 to 1971 – teaching assistant of eye diseases department. His establishment as a teacher, scientist and clinician initially passed under the guidance of professor P.S.Plitas and associate professor V.O.Kramarevskiy, and then under the guidance of professor T.V.Shlopak. From 1971 L.O.Syedoy became the associate professor of the department.
In 1968 L.O.Syedoy defended his candidate’s dissertation dedicated to cornea damages by extraneous objects. During his activity at the department, L.O.Syedoy published about 70 scientific works. The main areas of his scientific work were: secondary glaucoma, open globe injuries, treatment of eye blast injury which is accompanied by dislocation of a crystal, improvement of surgical treatment of patients with traumatic cataracts, as well as diagnostics and treatment of traumatic retina changes.
Except practical classes with students, L.O.Syedoy gave complete course of lectures at different faculties and in a wide range performed difficult ophthalmological operations.
L.O.Syedoy, having great clinical experience, could catch the interest of young generation. Lectures and practical classes of Leonid Oleksandrovych have always been interesting and useful either for students or young specialists and young teachers of doctors improvement faculty. Associate professor L.O.Syedoy during his lectures and practical classes always gave very interesting examples from classic literature, drew unexpected analogies proving that doctor’s knowledge must be comprehensive. He proved that only upon conditions of great desire for knowledge, the beginning specialist can become a real professional.
From August 1983 to February 1985, L.O.Syedoy executed the liabilities of chairman of ocular diseases department. During this period, for the first time there were mastered the operations on cataract extraction with intra ocular lenses; there was improved microsurgical technique upon penetrating eye injuries: there was carried out work on organization of municipal traumatic ophthalmological center on the basis of Central Clinical hospital where patients were operated not only according to planned procedures but at medical ambulance too.
Workers of ocular diseases department actively provided help to air medical service.
Since 1985, L.O.Syedoy continued working as associate professor of the department under the guidance of professor G.D.Zhaboyedov. Except direct study and learning, scientific-and-treatment work, he was the instructor of student circle, responsible for internship training and actively held consultation work.
L.O.Syedoy wrote more than 20 scientific works. Among them are: “About eye injury with spark” in 1967, “Changes of cornea of the eye upon nonpenetrating damages by extraneous bodies” in 1968, “Peculiarities of epithelialization of cornea early deformities upon penetration in it of extraneous bodies” in 1968, “Meaning of oculo-ocular reactions upon ruptured eye injuries for prevention of sympathetic inflammation” in 1973, “Choice of antibiotics and method of its infusion upon treatment of penetrating injuries complicated by infection” in 1975, “Importance of microsurgical devices in management of penetrating eye injuries” in 1976, “Effectiveness of new treatment methods of simplex herpetic keratitis” in 1977, “Peculiarity of surgical treatment of patients with secondary post-traumatic glaucoma” in 1977, “Surgical treatment of phacogenic and uveal glaucoma” in 1978, “Importance of antibiotics concentration upon penetrating eye injuries” in 1978.
Gennadiy Dmytrovych Zhaboyedov (1938 year of birth)
Was head of the department of ophthalmology in 1985-2014 years. In 1984 for the post of department’s chairman was chosen the doctor of medical science Gennadiy Dmytrovych Zhaboyedov (1938 year of birth) who started his work in February, 1985. G.D.Zhaboyedov obtained ophthalmologic education in Kharkiv; he was the student of Neuroophthalmologist, corresponding member of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics and the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic of professor I.Y.Merkulov. He defended the candidate’s dissertation on “Ocular spectrum under normal and illness conditions of visual-nervous system” (1970) and doctor’s dissertation on “Pathogenesis of optic disks tumors, their clinics and differentiated diagnostics” (1983). Professor (1986), Honored Doctor of Ukraine (1993), corresponding member of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine (1997). In 1984 G.D.Zhaboyedov was awarded the medal “Inventor of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic”, in 1993 he was given the title of Honored Doctor of Ukraine” and in 2000 – “Honored master of sciences and engineering”.
In his works he offered new diagnostic research methods of visual acuity, visual field, spatial and contrast sensitivity of visual nerve, retina and devices for their realization; new methods of conservative and surgical treatment of glaucoma and cataract, retina and visual nerve diseases, ocular organ injuries, eye complications among patients with hypertensive disease, diabetes and chronic kidney disease. He is a scientific supervisor of the center “Eye injury” in Kyiv. He also founded modern Ukrainian school of neuroophthalmologists.
He trained 14 candidates of medical science and one doctor of medical science.
G.D.Zhaboyedov is the head of the problem commission of Ukrainian Ministry of Public Health and the Academy of Medical Science “Ophthalmology and tissue therapy”, a tutor scientific researches on eye diseases of the research council on clinical medicine at the Presidium of Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, the member of the editorial board “Ophthalmology magazine”, the member of Ukrainian SCC, the head of eye diseases department, the president of association of Ukrainian neuroophthalmology, glaucoma specialists.
The author of more than 300 scientific works, among them there are two monographs, the first Ukrainian textbook on ophthalmology “Eye diseases”, ophthalmology terms dictionary, the ophthalmology aid for doctors consisted of three volumes, and number of guidelines and work books.
Was head of the department of ophthalmology in 2014-2019 years.
In 1988 O.Vitovskahad graduated with honors from Kyiv Medical Institute.
January 2020 – Professor of the Department of Ophthalmology, Bogomolets NMU
November 2014 – December 2019 – Head of the Department of Ophthalmology, Bogomolets NMU
2013-2014 – Professor of the Department of Ophthalmology, Bogomolets NMU
2000-2013 – Assistant Professor of the Department of Ophthalmology, Bogomolets NMU
1997-2000 – Assistant, Department of Ophthalmology, Bogomolets NMU
O.Vitovska was in clinical residency at Kyiv Medical Institute (1988-1994), had postgraduate studies at Kyiv Medical Institute (1994-1997).
In 1997 O.Vitovska defended her PhD thesis : “The effectiveness of the embryonic nervous tissue in the treatment of pigmentary retinal degeneration”.
In 2011, O.Vitovskahad defended her doctoral thesis MD: “Scientific substantiation of a national strategy for struggle against the primary glaucoma in Ukraine”.
The main directions of scientific and practical work: Under her guidance3 PhD theses are in process (2 at the final stage), 1 MD and 1 PhD thesis are defended.
Scientific interests – pathology of the posterior pole of the eye.
In 2008, professor received a grant from the European Ophthalmic Society and completed an internship on cataract surgery, glaucoma and retinal treatment at Heidelberg Medical University, Germany.
2003-2019 – continuous participation in master classes, conferences (reports), seminars in Ukraine and abroad (DOG, SOE, EGS, EVER, ESCRS, ARVO)
2013 – Intravitreal Injection Course
2017-2018 – Training for Medical Educators as part of the Congress of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
Introduction to clinical practice: perfectly knows modern methods of diagnostics and treatment of ophthalmic patients, performs surgical interventions necessary for treatment of patients with glaucoma, with diseases of the retina, actively implements laser technologies in practical surgery.
Publications: author of 242 scientific works, 127 of them are scientific articles; is a co-author of 4 educational and methodical publications, 3 reference books, 1 educational manual, 4 educational programs, 2 National ophthalmology textbooks for students of Medical Universities and 2 textbooks for family doctors, editor-in-chief of the National Ophthalmology textbook for English-speaking students, author of 5 rationalizations letters, 5 information letters on innovations in health care, co-author of 4 patents for invention. English level is – B2.
Google Scholar Hirsch Index – 5.0; Scopus Hirsch Index – 1.0.
Public activity: Honored Doctor of Ukraine, Chief specialist of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine in the field of ophthalmology (2014-2017), expert of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine in the field of ophthalmology (2017 – present), member of the Specialized Academic Council D 26.003.01 (Bogomolets NMU), deputy chairman of the expert council of the State Medical Academy in the specialty “Surgery”, member of the scientific council of the Medical Faculty №2 and Bogomolets NMU, member of the editorial board of the magazines “Ophthalmology”, “Ophthalmological reports”. Professor has a second higher education –in law (2003-2007 – Academy of the Advocacy of Ukraine). As a part of a voluntary mobile hospital, she provides assistance to children and adults directly in the east areas (Rubizhne, Severodonetsk, Luhansk region). Regularly provides consultative and methodological assistance for doctors (Kramatorsk, Severodonetsk) and teachers (Luhansk Medical University) directly in the east areas. Annually organizes and holds the Ophthalmic Hub International Conference, scientific and practical seminars within the framework of the International Medical Exhibition.
Membership in professional associations:
Candidate for membership in the American Academy of Ophthalmology
Member of the European Society of Retinologists
Member of the International Expert Council of Ophthalmologists about Glaucoma
Member of EVER (European eye vision research)
Vice-President for International Relations of the Association of Ophthalmologists-Neuroophthalmologists, Glaucomatologists of Ukraine (2007-2015)
Member of the International Expert Council of Ophthalmologists about Glaucoma Chairman of the Kiev Society of Ophthalmologists (2012-2017)
Chairman of the Board of the All-Ukrainian Alliance of Ophthalmologists (2016- present)
Awards:Acknowledgment of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine (2016), Acknowledgment of the Mayor of Kyiv (2013), Honorary Award “For saved lives (2017), Order of Princess Olga 3 degree (2018), Acknowledgment of the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (2019), diploma of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine (2019).
So, the history of eye diseases of the Bogomolets National Medical University is a story about the foundation of ophthalmology school in Kyiv, about the scientific achievement and activity of its founders and best representatives who carried through the centuries and developed the traditions of those who were at the origins of higher medical education in Ukraine.